In 1945, James Halliday established the J. Halliday Engineering workshop in McLennan Lane, Lismore. This is still the location of the business 73 years later.
Two of James’ three sons started apprenticeships with their father. Bruce in 1952, followed by his younger brother Wray, in 1954. With the two boys now on-board, James renamed the business; J Halliday & Sons.
In 1965 Bruce & Wray took over the management of their father's light engineering business. The business employed six machinists and carried out general engineering, manufacturing components for farming/earthmoving equipment and undertook maintenance, repairs and engine reconditioning.
Sadly, James was killed in a car accident in 1970.
In the following years the business expanded by way of two major building programs, the acquisition of modern equipment and the training of numerous apprentices and tradesmen.
J. Halliday & Sons became a major force in Lismore and Northern New South Wales in General Engineering, Engine Reconditioning and Replacement Parts Manufacture, employing up to 25 people. Brake & Clutch cylinder sleeving was an important part of the business from 1969 on, supplying brake specialists, garages and service stations along the East Coast of Australia.
In 1989, Wray left the partnership to pursue his own interests.
Bruce’s wife, Clarice, took care of the accounts and bookwork over the years, ensuring this side of the business was always kept under control.
Bruce retired in 2002 after working alongside all his 5 children. Three daughters, Sharon, Christine and Janelle all worked in the office at various times.
Bruce’s two sons, Philip & Jason, started with the business in 1984 & 1994 respectively. Both are qualified Fitter & Machinists.
They are the third generation to run the business, now known as Hallidays Engineering.
92 years established, 73 years as MTA members.
In recent years, Hallidays Engineering acquired two other local businesses to compliment the work already being undertaken.
Fluid Transfer Services was purchased in 2000, specializing in Hydraulics and Pneumatics.
Then in 2014 Wrights Clutch Service was purchased, and moved to the McLennan Lane site.
The purchase of Wrights Clutch Service has ensured the continuation of Brake & Clutch Component supply as well as Clutch Rebuilding facilities in the area.
We are one of the oldest family run businesses in Lismore, and take pride in the range and quality of services we continue to provide to the motoring industry.